KELIN is an NGO working to protect, promote and advance health-related human rights in Kenya. We do this by: providing legal services and support, training professionals on human rights, engaging in advocacy campaigns that promote awareness of human rights issues, conducting research and influencing policy that promotes evidence-based change.
KELIN’s current programme areas are around: promoting justice for widows and orphans, campaigning for funding for health services, ensuring the government effectively supports the rights of TB patients and persuading people in Kenya to know and use their human rights.
For more information on KELIN and its work visit www.kelinkenya.org
KELIN is looking for a passionate, cause driven legal professional to work as a legal officer in the litigation department.
The officer will work closely with the Executive Director and will be required to:
• Provide legal advice to clients from partner organisations
• Provide legal representation to clients from partner organisations before relevant judicial bodies
• Fundraise and mobilize resources for the organization through concept note writing, proposal writing and active donor relations
• Maintain and update the database of all KELIN probono lawyers
• Maintain and update a database of all KELIN cases
• Maintain a profile of all KELIN cases
• Undertake research on reported human rights violations
• Develop a relationship with local lawyers and Non-Governmental Organisations providing legal services on probono basis
• Follow up on the current, on-going cases and provide research support to the probono lawyers
• Participate in and facilitate trainings and workshops as appropriate
• Develop annual work plans and budgets, progress reports in relation to the project area.
• Lead in and participate in carrying out project monitoring and evaluation and generating periodical reports as necessary with regard to the project area in liaison with the M&E officer.
• Provide technical support on program issues within the organisation
• Submit monthly reports to the Executive Director on activities undertaken within the project area
• Assist in and/or carry out litigation, legal related activities and other tasks, as assigned by the Executive Director.
Minimum Qualifications and Attributes:-
• A degree in law from a recognised University;
• Diploma from the Kenya school of Law;
• Admission to the roll of advocates;
• At least one years’ experience of working in the litigation department of a law firm post-admission.
• At least one year’s experience of working in a non-governmental organisation within the legal department or volunteering as a probono lawyer for a non-governmental organisation providing legal aid services.
• Proven interest and experience in legal, ethical and human rights issues relating to health and HIV with particular emphasis on populations such as women, orphans & vulnerable children, sex workers and persons living with HIV;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili;
• Ability to work comfortably in a variety of settings and cultures;
• Excellent knowledge of international and regional human rights laws and instruments relating to health and HIV;
• Excellent knowledge of, the Constitution, the HIV & AIDS Prevention & Control Act 2006, the Sexual Offences Act and the Children’s Act;
• Excellent legal and factual research skills including online sources;
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
• Experience in soliciting donor funds, through the development of concepts, proposals, PowerPoint presentations and active participation at high profile meetings;
• Proficiency in the use of computer packages – Word processing, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Internet use.
• Possession of a valid practicing certificate;
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest and a detailed CV to email@example.com by 31st August 2012.
Kindly indicate your current and expected salary on the application letter.
Please note that ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
As part of our commitment to The Greater Involvement of People Living with HIV and AIDS (GIPA), KELIN actively encourages applications from qualified people living with HIV for this position.
Register your CV with Us For Free.