NOT Getting Job Interviews? Get A Professional CV Today. Click Here For Details
Finance Assistant Jobs, Finance Jobs, NGO Jobs, Mercy Corps Jobs
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We are looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nairobi, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer/Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner to support the program team activities.
- Maintain custody of the office cash fund and make daily payments of approved transactions.
- Prepare cash payment vouchers and ensure that all cash transactions are fully and properly documented.
- Perform daily cash count with the Finance Officer or other person assigned.
- Record payment vouchers daily in the cash sub-journal.
- Maintain the uncleared cash advance file and prepare past due advance report for the Finance Manager.
- check-signers for review and signature.
- Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented.
- Record payment vouchers daily in the bank sub journal.
- Prepare cheques or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved.
- Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved before payment.
- Prepare photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to HQ Finance.
Filing & Archiving
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded.
- Assist with Sub-grant management and organizing sub-grant files.
- Process DA1 for USAID VAT returns forms and follow up on processing status in a timely manner.
- Maintain VAT database tracker for submitted DA1 forms to USAID.
- Follow up with vendors on VAT refunds upon approval by USAID for refund.
- Process withholding VAT and withholding tax as per KRA regulations.
- Prepare monthly payroll based on information provided by HR and timesheets
- Prepare payroll accrual entry
Knowledge and Experience
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field.
- Minimum CPA II or other relevant accounting qualification.
- At least one year experience in accounting, bookkeeping or cashiering, including experience with double-entry accounting preferably in an international NGO.
- Familiarity with major international donor rules and non-profit accounting.
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
A successful Finance Assistant will be a strong team player, with good communication and interpersonal skills. S/he will have knowledge on the application of best practices in basic financial management and knowledge of financial management software. S/he will be flexible, thorough have the ability to pay attention to details, proactively solve problems, follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
How To Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor). Please do not attach any certificates. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 6th October, 2019. The email subject line must clearly indicate the job title for the position.
Applications will be reviewed by the hiring team on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process