NOT Getting Job Interviews? Get A Professional CV Today. Click Here For Details
Head of Communication Jobs, Communication Jobs, NGO Jobs, ICIPE Jobs
ICIPE—International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology—is a world-class research centre with a
mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment and
building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the
application of insect sciences. Employing close to 500 national and international staff, icipe is
headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western
Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial
contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities,
and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity.
icipe wishes to recruit a suitable person to fill the position of HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS in the Office
of the Director General. The position is tenable in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will be offered for an initial
contract of 2 years, renewable, subject to continued project needs, funding for the position, and
performance of the staff member. A competitive and generous compensation package that includes
housing and transport allowances, child education allowance up to university first degree, comprehensive
health and life insurance cover, and an offshore retirement package (all payable in US Dollars), will be
offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the incumbent will receive paid annual vacation, return airfare
for themselves and their dependents to their nominated home base each year, and duty-free privileges. If
the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, he or she will be offered support to relocate
and settle in Nairobi. Qualified candidates from Africa (and especially females) are invited to apply. Only
shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Living in Nairobi, Kenya
This role is a chance to help shape the communications agenda of an international organisation. In
collaboration with the management team, the successful candidate will design and implement a Center Wide communications strategy, boosting the visibility of the Centre to its international donors, and sharing the results of its research widely. A communications team of full-time staff, consultants and several communications officers and social scientists across the organisation support the aims of the Communications Unit. Various writers, photographers and filmmakers familiar with icipe’s work are available to support specific projects. icipe’s communication outputs include a website, newsletters, corporate reports, training and dissemination materials, internal bulletins and social media posts.
• Provide leadership and coordination for all communication activities of the Centre, to enhance
• visibility and credibility as a centre of excellence, by: (i) supporting the development and
implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy (as well as coaching research and
support staff on the implementation of the communications strategy), and (ii) raising the profile of
icipe’s corporate brand, programmes, projects and individual researchers.
• Strengthen and diversify icipe’s communications products, by reviewing the adequacy of icipe’s
current communication materials and recommending improvements.
• Oversee the design and production of icipe’s publications (including press releases, corporate
reports, brochures, training materials, newsletters, social media posts, and website).
• Provide communication/information advice and assistance to icipe teams, helping them to meet
their visibility obligations to donors and partners, either by doing the work required or by
contracting the work to consultants.
• Share icipe’s work in local and international media, by meeting our obligations to donors,
collaborating with partners and stakeholders, and bringing the results of our research to those
who might benefit from it.
• Ensure effective and appealing internal communication on icipe business, relevant topics,
strategies and management decisions (through internal bulletins, intranet and meetings, and
organising workshops, seminars, exhibitions and employee functions in liaison with the
• Ensure that employees know and respect crisis communication preparedness and
• Establish and manage an annual budget for communication functions in a responsible and cost
• Be accountable for all local and international communication activities of the Centre, including
advocacy and liaison activities with organisations that share similar interests.
• Knowledge of media advertising and publishing is essential.
• Highly proficient in both spoken and written English. Knowledge of oral and written French is an
• Computer proficiency particularly in MS Office Suite, and familiarity with desktop publishing and
spreadsheet software is essential.
• Familiarity with Apple Macintosh computers is an added advantage.
Minimum qualifications required
• Degree in journalism, communications, or related specification is essential.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are mandatory.
• 5 years of related professional experience in a position of responsibility in an international
organisation or a commercial organisation with international scope.
• Experience in journalism/media relations.
• Proven track record in leadership, leading to capabilities in driving and developing a
• Ability to think strategically, and to develop and execute strategic communication planning (as
well as the corresponding messages and communication activities).
Other desirable attributes:
• Strong in relationship building with journalists and other relevant external and internal
• High degree of organisation, adaptability and prioritisation, and documentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and well within teams.
This position reports to the Director General.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How To Apply:
Applications will be accepted up to 30th September 2019. Shortlisting is ongoing. Interested
applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter; (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3
referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers); and (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the
listed qualifications/competencies/ abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values
gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity